SHOREDITCH BAR, EC1

People, People, People.

There are some things in this world that will take your breathe away. Sometimes it might be that you were not expecting it or you just couldn't deem it possible.

Last Friday, I found myself in what is considered 'the most exclusive club' in London. As the ultimate cynic, I wiggled my nose at such a brass statement thinking 'What the hell does that mean?'

I didn't know what I was in for.

We pulled up at a side road in East London. We were welcome by a polite maitre who lead us into a very swanky reception area. The reception looked more like the entrances of Ernest & Young than a membership club complete with John Conran-styled furnishings.

We got into an elevator and we pushed floor 4 - en route, we stopped to collect trendy-looking individuals on levels 2 and 3 along the way. Upon arrival on level 4, I was awe struck.

On my left was a warehouse looking layout (The Bar was a former Underground station) as we looked ahead, there were several sub-sections that include a pool area, an open bar with beautiful mahogamy finishing and a 5-star restuarant. As we walked further towards the end of the long room - we arrived at a magnificent lounge area coupled with crytal chandeliers orchestrating the muted lighting.

Completely bowed over, I got up and gave myself a tour. I walked from level to level stumbling upon a roof top swimming pool, a full fledge nightclub and many many other activities.

Membership is £1,000 a month. I have always condemned the extortion of the 'membership' culture but I'm going to have to eat my words on this one.

Simply unbelievable!

Now I understand the hype around Shoreditch.

No comments: